Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sydney's Worst Dust Storm September 2009

*cough cough*
:-)

Wow, this morning I was awaken by this eerie red glow from my bedroom window.
My first thought, 'What the?! I'd better check if Mothership had arrived', open the curtain, looked up, left and right. 'Hmmm... no Mothership... cool...' In fact, can't see much, there's wall of dust everywhere!
I tried to capture it with my new camera, but the battery was flat. D'oh! Was too excited and used it quite a lot for the last few days. *sigh* Should get a spare battery.
Anyway...

And then I decided to wake my brother up. LOL...
First thing he said, 'Judgement Day?!'
Second thing he said, 'Hmmm, should I go to lecture today?'
LOL... Good point though.
This is the first time we've experienced this, I was also wondering if it's safe out there.
Checked on my iPhone and the weather report said it's gonna be windy today.
But I decided to get ready and come to the office anyway.

Not until I read the news few minutes ago that I found out the wind speed was around 90kph last night. That's what caused the dust storm in the first place.
Appearantly the wind brought dust from inland NSW and South Australia (dryer place, more dust/sand).

Photos from ninemsn.com.au and smh.com.au:









The prediction is, the dust will settle by this afternoon, when the wind will be weakened.

I'll stay inside the office for lunch today :-)

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/sydney-turns-red-dust-storm-blankets-city-20090923-g0so.html

1 comment: